Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Gold Rush

Gold Rush
Joe Katulak
Film History 1



1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

Charlie Chaplin, the star of the “Gold Rush” will forever be known as one of the originators of comedy on the big screen. However Chaplin was not the only person in Hollywood in the early 1900’s that was pioneering comedy movies for future generations.  Mack Sennett was one of the first real pioneers of comedy in movies. Sennett created Keystone Films, and under that he was able to produce many major comedy stars including Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin, two of the biggest names in comedy during the early 1900’s. There were also visual effects that Sennett was able to create with the camera such as shooting at 8-10 frames per second which added a different look to the films. By shooting at 8-10 frames per second and then speeding the film up to 16-20 frames per second in the projector, it gave the films a more fast paced look which worked for comedy movies.  After working under Sennett, Chaplin eventually became an auteur of his own and truly began making his movies stand out from other comedies. Chaplin played the role of the little guy or underdog that many main characters have not portrayed in the past making his work unique and ground breaking for his time period.

2) Find a related article (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.) and summarize the content. You may use the library or the internet.

The article “Philharmonic mines Charlie Chaplin's classic 'Gold Rush',” takes a look at the new way the classic film “Gold Rush” is being played and reproduced in the 21st century. The Lexington Philharmonic let by director and conductor Scott Terrell has reproduced “Gold Rush” in all of its glory except this time it is doing it with a live orchestra. The score from the original movie is essentially being reproduced, just being played alongside the film. And even though Scott Terrell claims he has seen the film 80-100 times, conducting the score alongside the movie still had its challenges. Even though Terrell and his orchestra know the movie very well it’s still difficult to keep the exact pace with the movie the entire show. Terrell however proved himself as a great conductor by being able to slow down or speed up the tempo of the music in order to keep proper pace with the movie. Terrell had great confidence in his orchestra and for that night it was said that, "It's all orchestral and all Charlie.”

 3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. How did the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director, content, etc.?

After reading the article, Philharmonic mines Charlie Chaplin's classic 'Gold Rush',” it definitely gave me a better understanding as to how the film should be viewed and appreciated. When I first watched the movie I don’t think that I fully understood how influential the score was throughout the film.  In the early 1900’s when the “Gold Rush” was made there was still no dialogue in films so having a strong score such as the one in “Gold Rush” really helped to emphasize parts of the movie. A scene such as the dinner roll dance might not have been viewed as such a great scene without the strong music playing to back it up. Chaplin was able to write the music that went along with dinner roll dance and was able to actually have parts of the dances change on the beats of the music. This was something that was still new and exciting to movie goers in the early 1920’s and this article really helped me notice and appreciate that the sound for the movie is just as important as the visuals.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article. I am less interested in whether you liked or disliked a film, (although that can be part of this) than I am in your understanding of its place in film history or the contributions of the director.

Overall the film “Gold Rush” was a spectacle to the eyes and ears of movie goes in the 1920’s and there is a reason why it is still considered one of the best movies all time today. The film starts off showing the struggle of the many Americans that were traveling through the cold and snowy mountains during the gold rush. Not long after we meet The Tramp, Charlie Chaplin’s character, the mood of the story quickly changes after we see him getting followed unknowingly by a bear on the edge of a cliff. Charlie Chaplin had a good eye for the screen and knew how to place the Tramp in many situations that would be enjoyable for the audience. This is done throughout the film, where we see funny things happen to the Tramp much before he is aware of what is going on. A prime example of this is when we see The Tramp turn into chicken and begin walking and flapping his wings inside the cabin. Also Chaplin was great at the art of slap stick comedy.  He knew how to make himself get hurt in front of the camera by making it look dramatic but also assuring the audience through his mannerisms that he is never in any real danger. The score to movie also helps a great deal because at this time there was no real dialogue to carry the movie, only brief quotes placed on the screen.  The score to movies in this time period is so important, that when it’s done well it can improve the mood of a scene or make shot that’s boring become exciting, such as the famous dinner roll scene. There are still some slow parts in the film, especially when compared to modern movies, but that should in no way take away from the great triumph this movie was at its time.

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 1) ( ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class. 2) ( ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper. 3) ( ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 4) () I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper. 5) ( ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read. 6) ( ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 7) ( ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 8) ( ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: _Joe Katulak_________________ Date: _9/23/14_________________

No comments:

Post a Comment