Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Citizen Kane



1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

Citizen Kane is known by many for being the greatest movie of all time, and there are many aspects of the film that give meaning to the greatness of the film. There are many themes that take place throughout the film that give it special meaning and a special place in film history. Orson Welles in his debut as a film maker explores themes such as love and power with ground breaking methods of production. Wells was able to incorporate lighting, long takes, and a variety of camera movement and angles that no one has seen before. Wells also used new wide angle lenses that helped to keep everything in focus, giving many shots in the film a unique look but would also add drama and emotion to the shots. By creating a deep focus in some of the shots, which meant keeping everything from the foreground to the background in focus, it allowed the viewers to see expressions on multiple characters faces without having them standing right next to each other. This effect was used extremely well in some of the shots and definitely adds an element to the film that had not been used in films prior.

2) Find a related article (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.) and summarize the content. You may use the library or the internet.


This article from Time Magazine takes a look back at Citizen Kane and how it compares to other movies, and not just films from America but from the entire world. The author of the article, Richard Corliss starts off comparing Citizen Kane to other forms of media such as music and television. He makes the point that because it is old it must be outdated and that there have been newer more current movies to surpass it. Briefly after, Corliss discusses a list of the top 10 films of all time where Citizen Kane is not number one on the list, but instead Vertigo is. Throughout the middle part of the article, Corliss discusses many of the other influential films from the beginning of cinema. However to wrap up the article, the last few paragraphs start going into detail, explaining why Citizen Kane is so great. Corliss mentions a little of Orson Wells’ background and how his history with radio and theater allowed him to have his first movie be one of the greatest of all time. In the last two paragraphs of the article, Corliss really gives credit to Citizen Kane about how it “wants to be the best”. Because of that, Citizen Kane holds a standard for what people should aim to create when trying to make a movie.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. How did the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director, content, etc.?

After reading this article, I am left with an even more intense feeling about the film than after watching it the first couple of times. Part of me agreed with the way the article started but the other part of the me strongly disagreed. When I first began reading, I thought to myself, how could anything top Citizen Kane as the greatest movie of all time? Then I thought about the point the author made about comparing music from today to music back in the earlier 1900’s. That point was very interesting to me because in modern society people clearly have a different taste in music than in the earlier 1900’s, so it makes the point that the greatness of a song is really completely subjective to the time period and culture in which it was created. The point made me briefly think about its relation to film but then I realized that you can’t really compare film and music with that same attitude because the mediums are so different. As I kept reading and kept looking through some of the top 10 and top 100 film list in which Citizen Kane was not at the top, and it just didn't seem right to have any other film stand above Citizen Kane as the best film of all time, especially with seeing a film like Vertigo top it as number one. Veritgo is great in its own respect, however I do not feel that it holds the longevity and special place in film history that Citizen Kane has had for so many years. The part of the article that really made me appreciate the writers opinion was the way the article finished. The author wrote about how the film “demands to be approached in awe” and “is often named the world’s best film: because it wants to be”, which I think is completely true. No other film has really made such an impact as Citizen Kane and that’s the reason why it may be nearly impossible for any film to beat it out as the best film ever.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article. I am less interested in whether you liked or disliked a film, (although that can be part of this) than I am in your understanding of its place in film history or the contributions of the director.

When looking at how Citizen Kane compares to all other movies in terms of the greatest movies of all time, to me Citizen Kane stands out as a hands down winner. One of the best things about Citizen Kane is that it does not do one or two things really well, but everything throughout the movie is on point. By using a combination of all of the parts of the film making process, Citizen Kane tells the perfect story of one man’s life, but it is a story that is relatable to so many people. The way Orson Wells uses new lighting techniques, camera movement and camera lenses, gives Citizen Kane the perfect look it needs to help tell its story. The lighting is moody when it needs to be and full with less contrast depending on what part of the film is being shown. The change in lighting techniques and camera angles throughout the film changes based on the mood and feel of the film that Orson Wells is trying to portray to the audience. The framing especially throughout the movie tells the story almost as well as the actual words that are spoken. Cinema to me is all about how well a story can be told through the use of moving pictures, and Citizen Kane does it better than just about every other movie ever made. The way that the camera is used to the story of Charles Foster Kane makes the movie stand out against any other movie from its time period but what I think is so special about the cinematography is that if the movie were to be played without sound or dialogue people would still be able to follow the story. But truly one of the most important things to remember about Citizen Kane is how it changed the way that people look at and make movies. If it wasn’t for Citizen Kane, the many aesthetic elements that we love about movies today might have never existed.

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 1) ( ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class. 2) ( ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper. 3) ( ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 4) () I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper. 5) ( ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read. 6) ( ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 7) ( ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 8) ( ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: ____Joe Katulak___________________________ Date: _10/29/14_________________

No comments:

Post a Comment