David Lynch shows his dark side once again in the mystery,
crime thriller “Blue Velvet”. The use of dark imagery really sets Lynch’s style
apart from most other directors, and that feeling is definitely prevalent here
in “Blue Velvet”. It appeared that many of the scenes used a lot of natural
light in combination with some small additional light sources to give the film a very dark
and surreal feeling. Also the use of violent imagery is definitely present
throughout the movie. Because of Lynch’s style, he was never really afraid of
going too far in the film when it comes to violence. His use of violence,
specifically domestic abuse, really help to drive along the story.
2) Find a related article (on the film, director, studio,
actor/actress, artistic content, etc.) and summarize the content. You may use
the library or the internet.
The article from the New York Times, titled, “David Lynch,
Still Disturbing After 20 Years”, discusses David Lynch’s “Blue Velvet” and how
dark and surreal it was compared to many other mystery movies that were made
around the same time. Terrence Rafferty, the writer of the article mentions how
the violence that takes place in the film is not something that is entirely new
to audiences, but the way that Lynch goes about telling his story is a little
more twisted and surreal than most. Lynch does a very good job of transitioning
between a light hearted teen drama, and a dark twisted mystery which is
definitely apparent when scenes transition between daytime and nighttime. The
writer also points out that what is so interesting about “Blue Velvet” is the
reaction from audiences in 1986 as well as today. Even though movies have
changed a lot since 1986, things that are weird or strange have proven to stay
weird or strange throughout time.
3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. How did
the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director,
content, etc.?
Overall, I agree with what the author had to say about the
film. Saying that the film is still disturbing even after being out for over twenty
years is definitely true, and an excellent point made by the writer. “Blue
Velvet” uses themes that are common in even today’s movies which is why the
film can still be appealing to movie watchers today. The article
definitely supported my opinion on David Lynch, and actually made me more
curious about his work. Knowing now the reputation that Lynch has with making
movies, I’m curious to see what some of his more bizarre work contains. One thing I was really happy about was that the article
mentioned how the film goes back and forth between the feeling of a teen
drama and a dark crime thriller. This is the exact feeling that I had during
the movie. Kyle MacLachlan and Laura Dern’s characters each give the film a
very 80’s vibe without much a feeling of darkness. However the parts with Dennis Hopper's
character are much more dark and give a much more uncomfortable feeling to the
audience. Overall this article from the New York Times summarized and described
“Blue Velvet” very well.
4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your
personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text
material and the article.
“Blue Velvet” is an 80’s movie but not your typical
one. The film is a straight up mystery
thriller that has a very different tone than what many people assimilate with
other 80’s movies. In one of the opening scenes, the character Jeffrey finds a
severed ear out in an open field, leading him to start asking questions to the
local police. This scene does a great job of setting the tone in the movie, and
Lynch builds off that tone throughout the movie, while also increasing suspense. Also, fairly early on in the movie we see Dorothy Vallens getting
abused in her apartment through the point of view of Jeffrey. This scene also
sets up some other potential events that happen throughout the movie but in my
opinion it increases dramatic tension and suspense. Pulling off scenes like
this is what I think gives Lynch a style of his own. Some of the takes in
scenes where there was abuse appeared to be very long, making them almost uncomfortable
to watch,
but in a good way. And being that “Blue Velvet” is a mystery, Lynch does a good job of making sure the audience is aware of everything that the main character is aware of. Overall “Blue Velvet” is a great mystery thriller and I would recommend it to anyone who likes dark and mysterious stories.
but in a good way. And being that “Blue Velvet” is a mystery, Lynch does a good job of making sure the audience is aware of everything that the main character is aware of. Overall “Blue Velvet” is a great mystery thriller and I would recommend it to anyone who likes dark and mysterious stories.
CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 1) ( ) I have not handed in this
assignment for any other class. 2) ( ) If I reused any information from other papers
I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper. 3) ( )
If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or
used indentation and citation within the text. 4) () I have not padded the
bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of
the paper. 5) ( ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.
6) ( ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated
in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 7)
( ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation
or originality. 8) ( ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully
transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.
Name: _Joe Katulak_________________ Date: __2/17/15________

No comments:
Post a Comment