Tuesday, April 14, 2015

He Got Game

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

Spike Lee’s film He Got Game utilizes the different settings as a very important aesthetic of the film. The different settings in the film go hand in hand with the emotions of each of the characters. For example, in the two scenes where Jesus is basketball with his father (once when young, and once when older) the darkness and emptiness of the basketball court makes the mood of the scene a little more moody and eerie.  Also the college environments Jesus is placed in are filled with parties and girls throwing themselves at him, which are essentially there just to appeal to him and influence him to attend a certain school. The same thing can be said about the agent’s house. The sports agent is clearly flashing all of his high priced items to try and entice Jesus to join the NBA early. Having specific or convincing settings is a requirement to help change the way certain characters and the audience think about a scene, and Spike Lee did a good job of using the various settings to help tell the story of He Got Game.

2) Find a related article (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.) and summarize the content. You may use the library or the internet.

The article form ESPN titled, “Ray Allen mulls 'He Got Game' sequel” discusses the recent talks between NBA star Ray Allen and Spike Lee about making a sequel to He Got Game. Ray Allen played the role of one of the lead characters in the film, Jesus Shuttlesworth.  Spike Lee has been in constant contact with Ray Allen and the two of them have been discussing the possibility of making a sequel to He Got Game over the past few months (at the time the article was written). Both Allen and Lee are aware that most sequels that come out are filled with fluff, and the two want to make sure that if they do create a sequel that it has a solid story to follow up the original film. Allen also made it known that if a sequel were to be released at any point that Denzel Washington and Rosario Dawson would be required actors to make the new story work.



3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. How did the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director, content, etc.?

It is definitely interesting to hear that a possible sequel to He Got Game is being considered. I am usually not a fan of sequels, especially ones that take place over fifteen years after the original film. However I feel that Spike Lee is a good enough director and admires basketball too much to go through with making a sequel and not give the film his all. He Got Game was a great story on its own though and I don’t think that it would be really necessary to add on to what has already been done. Then again I am not Spike Lee and have no idea what kind of story he may be thinking of to follow up the original film. If the film does end up ever getting made I could see this heavily influencing my opinion on Spike Lee. Every one of Spike Lee’s movies that I have seen does an amazing job of telling a story through moving pictures, and if he were to sacrifice the story telling aspect in any way just to make a sequel I think it would definitely hurt his reputation.  Ray Allen is 39 years old and is most likely towards the end of his career, and being that the story of He Got Game was heavily based on Allen’s character getting into college basketball/ The NBA it would be interesting to see what kind of story the sequel would have. Overall it was interesting to see that Spike Lee has been thinking about a sequel for He Got Game, but I am still unsure of what a sequel to that film would look like.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.


Even though I think He Got Game has some flaws, the film is a very good twist on a somewhat traditional sports movie. The film is about a high school sports phenomenon that needs to make a tough decision on what to do with his basketball career after high school. However the twist comes when the basketball star’s father, played by Denzel Washington is a prisoner released on the condition that he has to convince his son, who he has not seen in years, to attend the governor’s al ma matter in exchange for being able to leave prison early. The film did many things great but there are two things that I think could have been changed or removed all together that would have helped improve the story. I was really intrigued by the dynamic between Mary (the daughter), her father and brother. She is the first main character that Denzel Washington see’s after he is released from prison but I feel like she was easily forgotten. She was very forgettable in the second and third act, if she was even there at all. Also the Dakota character played by Milla Jovovich was completely unnecessary.  I failed to see what actual purpose she had with story besides being sexual relief to Denzel Washington. Aside from those two issues with the story I thought the film did a great job of portraying the struggles that Ray Allen’s character and Denzel Washington’s characters had to go through. Also the music and cinematography were great as in most of Spike Lee’s films. I also really thought the ending was another great way to put a twist on traditional sports movies that usually finishes with a happy ending. We see that the governor probably had no intention of ever releasing Denzel Washington from prison even after Jesus choses the governor’s al ma matter. Even though I thought the story had a few flaws, the overall story was great and a good change of pace from most sports movies. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I thought the daughter was great and Dakota was superfluous.

    ReplyDelete